How to Register

Welcome new user. This site runs on a single-sign on system; if you are registered on the main site then the first time you visit the forum when you are logged in an account will automatically be created for you with the same username. Simply login to the main site and you will be logged into the forum as well.

To register, simply click the "Register" link at the top right of the page.

Photo

NRL Rumours

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:02 AM

Social media is a buzz with Benji Marshall to announce where he will be playing after coming back from Rugby Union, the hot tip was that he would end up at the Sharks to play along with his best mate BRyan and half a dozen ex tigers, but the smokie is he may end up at the Dragons, time will tell...

#2 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

Some more Dragon rumours

- we are in the hunt for Benji and have made a 3 year offer.
- we have put in a big offer for Proctor (biggest so far) but he is aware of the Roosters . Also very interested in Sims but  we will only get one of him and Proctor.
- we still want a halfback not convinced Williams is the answer apparently Price is keen to develop Quinlan there. 

#3 NewcastleCards

NewcastleCards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

Those rumours should be giving you nightmares.

#4 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:47 AM

Social media was going crazy today, alas no announcement today, but iwas stated that Benji will decided within 48hours, maybe doesn't want to take the focus of the Australia V NZ test match and the weekends rep games...

#5 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

have been told that the Dragons have submitted a contract for Benji to the NRL for sign off

• Dragon_fire likes this

#6 Dragon_fire

Dragon_fire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

Benji is co hosting footy show on Thursday...... Maybe he will make the Announcement live on the footy show.

Sims and Proctor would be great sighing's for the dragons would give us some much needed muscle up front.  

#7 NewcastleCards

NewcastleCards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

Will be a very interesting buy for the Dragons. For me there is more downside than upside. 

#8 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:01 AM

I think you will find Proctor will either stay at Melbourne or sign with the roosters, Tariq has also had an offer from Newcastle as well, the issue for the Dragons with Tariq was when the Dragons basically sacked Ashton, the mother took both Korbin and Tariq from the Dragons, Ashton has built up a hatred for the Dragons, let see if his brother is the same...

Dragons need a big prop, as we get dominated in the middle easy...

#9 Dragon_fire

Dragon_fire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

Marshall is a Huge Gamble for the Dragons,

I guess they are rolling the dice were Benji is concerned.

Will we see benji come back with a point to prove and see some of the magic he showed back in 2005.

Or are we going to see the Benji Marshall from 2012 season.?

For me it would of been 1 year deal with a 2 year option.

I would rather see the $$ spent on our forward pack than a 29 year old back that has big ? marks on his ability to preform,, But in saying that I am hopeful that I,m wrong and he is a huge success with the dragons and emulates what josh dugan has done for the club..

• AyiosYiorgos likes this

#10 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

Dragons close in on Benji, Proctor signatures
By ADAM PENGILLY and BRAD WALTER May 6, 2014, 9:28 p.m.

St George Illawarra will only have to wait a week for confirmation of a potential stunning double coup, with Kevin Proctor well and truly in their sights.

RUGBY LEAGUE

St George Illawarra will only have to wait a week for confirmation of a potential stunning double coup, with Kevin Proctor well and truly in their sights.

As the Red V's courtship of returning superstar Benji Marshall inches closer to a resolution, Proctor's manager Chris Orr has confirmed the New Zealand and Melbourne star is seriously considering a shift to Wollongong

The 25-year-old met with Storm officials earlier this week and is expected to announce a decision on his future by next Wednesday.

The Roosters and Dragons have led the chase for the explosive back-rower, while the Storm can make a last-ditch play to prevent Proctor from following a trail blazed by Gareth Widdop.

"I've told the other clubs they're still in the running," Orr said. "We're just waiting to hear back from Melbourne on their final position."

Proctor's potential signing could come days after Marshall seals his comeback to rugby league.

Dragons chief executive officer Peter Doust was unavailable to comment on Tuesday but it's understood a deal is imminent.

It was left to St George Illawarra's leadership group to sing the praises of the 29-year-old after their field session at Kogarah.

Price's No 7 predicament became even more urgent after he made his fourth halfback change in just nine rounds - turning to Sam Williams in preference to Michael Witt for the clash with the Bulldogs on Sunday.

Marshall's former Tigers teammate and roommate Bronson Harrison indicated coach Steve Price had consulted the Dragons' senior players about the premiership winner before he opened negotiations.

"He asked maybe if there was interest from his side of things and Benji is not silly, he will look at all of his options," Harrison said.

"After speaking to him I know how hungry he is.

"I used to live with him and I know how much of a competitor he is, I know how intelligent he is so I know that if he comes here there is a good opportunity for him to shine.

"I think if he decides to come here it is a great environment for him to be in, we have got great medical staff, we have got a great backline and a strong, solid pack so I think that is a good environment for him to flourish."

The man Marshall will partner in the halves if he dons the Red V, Widdop, also welcomed the idea of combining with Marshall.

Widdop already linked with Witt, Williams and Adam Quinlan at the scrumbase in just eight games this year

"As a young fellow, I played with some great players down at Melbourne so to play with Benji - another great player - would be great too," Widdop said.

"But at the moment, we have Sammy Williams, Adam Quinlan, Michael Witt, who are all good players themselves.

"It is all up in the air. We just have to move on and worry about playing football. It's all speculation but everyone knows what he has done for rugby league.

"He was a great player before he left for rugby union."

#11 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:28 AM

Interesting story in the news ltd press that Tinkler has been sending Knights players abusive Text messages.Darius has been copping it the most.

#12 NewcastleCards

NewcastleCards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

Interesting story in the news ltd press that Tinkler has been sending Knights players abusive Text messages.Darius has been copping it the most.

Meh - not really out of line where Darius is concerned. :lol:

#13 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:12 AM

Nathan Tinkler has officially walked away from the Newcastle Knights and warned its new owners will likely have to cut jobs and funding grants.
Mr Tinkler and the Hunter Sports Group released a statement confirming they have handed over ownership of the Newcastle Knights.
"I have done my bit for the town by investing more than $20 million and saving the Knights from liquidation and now it is time for someone else to step up to the plate," Mr Tinkler said.
"After injecting over $20 million of my own money it is time to stand aside, and hopefully the Knights will prosper and not revert to the old management style and formula that almost sent the club into liquidation three years ago."
Advertisement
Hunter Sports Group, Tinkler’s company which has run the Knights for the past three years, has been on borrowed time since defaulting on March 31 on a commitment to have in place a $10.52 million bank guarantee, a breach that entitled the members club to buy the franchise back for $1.
The NRL’s resolve to end the impasse hardened last Friday when about 20 Knights players and staff were not paid their monthly wages.
That prompted another meeting in Newcastle on Monday, at which an NRL spokesman said ‘‘we made some progress’’.
Mr Tinkler confirmed on Friday afternoon that Hunter Sports Group will have nothing further to do with the running of the Knights club, and the Knights Members Club were now in a position to take over.
"This negotiation has dragged on for over 10 weeks and it is clear the Members club has stalled the process," Mr Tinkler said.
"Commercial reality will mean staffing numbers will now need to be reviewed, grants cut to the junior league programs and the local Newcastle competition.
"Since HSG took over the Knights, we have lifted the annual spend of football operations to be over $3 million above the average NRL club."
Mr Tinkler has denied reports that he leaves the club with debts of about $20 million.
"Any figure like this could only include money I have put onto the club. The debts of the club are substantially less than the $10.5 million, which is currently sitting in a bank account and not earning interest," he said.
"We are determined to do everything to make it a smooth transition, but we require all accounts to be settled before leaving the club — then it will be up to others to take the club forward.
"Once all liabilities are paid there will be adequate cash flow available to support the new owners," he added.
"Through our investment in junior development, our 20s are on top of the table, the Harold Matthews team won the National Title and SG Ball made it to the finals," he said.
"Over the past the years we have also provided every opportunity for the Knights NRL team and coaching staff and I'm sure this will pay-off down the line.
"On a personal level, the most inspirational moment of the past three years was last week when I visited Alex McKinnon in hospital and saw what the true Newcastle spirit was all about.
"I want a successful Knights club, which generates pride for the whole Hunter, but I cannot understand why the local press simply want to criticise the club, its players and attempt to bring down everything that is great about Newcastle and the Knights.
"If people don't put self interest in front of what is best for the Knights, the future is extremely bright.
"The club is in a far better position than it was when HSG took over, with the club then drowning in $7 million of debt, inadequate administration facilities and no formal training facility," Mr Tinkler concluded.
The Hunter Sports Group want negotiations to finish quickly and the NRL to support the Knights, if needed, during this transitional period.
The club and Mr Tinkler will make no further comment.

#14 Dragon_fire

Dragon_fire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:10 AM

St George Illawarra coach Steve Price has been sacked by the club and Assistant coach and former Dragons captain Paul (mary) McGregor has been put in place as care taker coach for the remainder of the 2014 season.

Now the silly season will begin to whom will coach the dragons in 2015 and beyond.

Such names as The currant Australian Coach Tim Sheens and state of origin coach Laurie Daley and  Former Cowboys coach Neil Henry names have been heavily featured in the Media .

My hope now for the remainder of the 2014 season McGregor can instill some intensity and passion back into the dragons side.   

#15 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

THE BULLDOGS are set to beat half a dozen NRL clubs to sign boom Cowboys outside back Curtis Rona.

The Raiders, Sharks and several other clubs were keen to sign the exciting 21-year-oold winger/centre, who is averaging a try per game in his short NRL career.

Canterbury coach Des Hasler is desperate for more strength in the outside backs and sees Rona as the long-term solution to his problems.

Rona is believed to have signed a three-year deal with the Bulldogs starting in 2015.

#16 NewcastleCards

NewcastleCards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

St George Illawarra coach Steve Price has been sacked by the club and Assistant coach and former Dragons captain Paul (mary) McGregor has been put in place as care taker coach for the remainder of the 2014 season.

Now the silly season will begin to whom will coach the dragons in 2015 and beyond.

Such names as The currant Australian Coach Tim Sheens and state of origin coach Laurie Daley and  Former Cowboys coach Neil Henry names have been heavily featured in the Media .

My hope now for the remainder of the 2014 season McGregor can instill some intensity and passion back into the dragons side.   

How does Neil Henry keep getting his name thrown up for these jobs?

#17 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:43 AM

I would take Neil Henry, got to remember Cowboys have been duded 2 years in a row with ref mistakes which cost them a potential place in the Grand Final.

Anyway better then getting McGregor, Daley and some others mentioned, but seriously Dragons need to get rid of CYoung as well has way too much influence on the team, he is past it

#18 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Brisbane Broncos under investigation for possible salary cap irregularities

http://www.heraldsun...u-1226933629538

#19 AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos

• Moderators
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

James Tedesco signing with Canberra has sent the Tigers supporters in a rage, they are fuming as to why the didn't keep him, i can reveal what was offered by both clubs

Tigers offered a 4 year deal worth 330k next year, 370k 2016, 450k 2017 and 575k 2018.

The Raiders 3 year deal offered 600k next year, 650k 2016, 700k 2017

#20 NewcastleCards

NewcastleCards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Canberra love their injury prone fullbacks. Mullins, Dugan and now Tedesco

They were right to walk away.