How to Register

Welcome new user. This site runs on a single-sign on system; if you are registered on the main site then the first time you visit the forum when you are logged in an account will automatically be created for you with the same username. Simply login to the main site and you will be logged into the forum as well.

To register, simply click the "Register" link at the top right of the page.

Photo
Asccmag Blog

Dumb things on cardboard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gimko

Gimko

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

Some pretty dumb things have made it onto cards over the years and we thought it would be fun to look at some of them. Here are a few of that we handpicked.

Gone with the Wind (1996)

Movie cards are nothing new. For the most part they come out in conjunction with the release of the movie as part of the merchandising. This set however was released 57 years after the initial release of Gone with the Wind. I guess they were going after that older audience. To top it off if you bought a box you were assured of 3 base sets! How did this never sell out!

Capture.jpg

Inline Hemp Cards Series 1 (1994)

Overall this is probably not the worst idea for a set of cards. I guess the major problem would have been that your target market is going to be more inclined to spend any spare cash on another bag of weed rather than buying pictures of it. Below we have one of the insert cards from the series. If you sent it in to Inline you received back a phone card with 60 minutes of long distance calls! That would have come in very handy when calling your local dealer.

Capture2.jpg

The Hollywood Dead (1993)

Ever wondered what your favorite Hollywood stars tombstone looked like? Go no further. This set was made by Mother Productions back in the early 1990′s. The also made such classic sets as faces of death, bizarre boobs, nazi cards, killer cards and human freaks & oddities. I have no idea how they did not take off! 

moth-hollydeadF.jpg

Iran Contra Scandal (1993)

This was such a popular scandal that this managed to get its own set of cards. Quick history lesson - During the Ronald Reagan Administration, senior administration officials secretly facilitated the sale of arms to Iran, the subject of an arms embargo. The funds were used by the CIA to aid Nicaraguan Contras (insurgents trying to overthrow the Nicaraguan government). Wow – interesting right? Here is Manucher Ghorbanifar, one of the Iranian arm dealers. No idea why he is hanging our in a public toilet.

b45112eac797efe0e3aa7128ee2d90e41.jpg

Pro Body Builders (1993)

Well what can you say about this set? Great way for kids to learn about the dangers of steroids I guess.

Capture11.jpg

The post Dumb things on cardboard appeared first on Australian Sports Card Collector Magazine.

View the full article

• theanswer333 likes this

#2 bike_fan

bike_fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

I could think of a fair few playing cards on Kickstarter that could join this lot!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: