How to Register

Welcome new user. This site runs on a single-sign on system; if you are registered on the main site then the first time you visit the forum when you are logged in an account will automatically be created for you with the same username. Simply login to the main site and you will be logged into the forum as well.

To register, simply click the "Register" link at the top right of the page.

Photo

A question to you NRL guys from a NBA collector

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 theanswer333

theanswer333

• Moderators
  • 337 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:30 AM

Hey guys....... I'm an NBA collector and before Gimko started doing group breaks and me watching a lot of them I knew pretty much nothing about NRL cards haha, but from watching the breaks I have a number of questions which I think you guys could answer.

1. What's the deal with the redemptions? From what I have seen redemptions seem to always be the most sought after cards in NRL products and always seem to be for a really big card - why is this? Also, don't the redemptions ever expire?

Coming from an NBA background, we despise redemptions as:

• They always have an expiry date and unless you are VERY VERY lucky the manufacturers will refuse to honor them if they pass this date even if it's a huge card
  • Redemptions are unfamous for taking forever toi redeem - have heard stories of people waiting 18 months for cards and still waiting
  • A lot of the time cards from redemptions never even get produced
  • If you have been waiting a long time for a redemption and you decide to request a replacement, it's quite common what they decide to send you is far worse than what you should have gotten

2. What's the deal with game worn stuff? In NBA products game used stuff is all over the place - in fact most game used stuff (or even worn) is so common that you can pick up game used cards of most players for $1 - $5; but there is a lot of decent game used stuff like sick patches and logomen etc whcih can sell for big $$$; yet I have noticed in NRL cards you guys don't have any of this stuff at all!? Any idea why that is?

3. You guys should be happy that you don't get "sticker autos" - at least from what I have seen you don't have them. :)

#2 Jaede

Jaede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

Hi,

1. there are benefits to having Redemptions- example for signature cards it stops the signature getting scratched or damaged in the packaging it keeps the integrity of the card, therefore the redemptions are generally kept for the rarer/harder card to pull. The longest I have waited for a redemption to return was 6 weeks. Select also released premiership predictor redemptions for each team. Collect the team that won the premiership or all the teams and send them in to receive a the premiership set of the team that won (and if you sent the full set you also received a card from each team featuring top try scorer from the team).

2. Unfortunately there hasn't been a release of game worn stuff in the nrl, this is apparently due to a few reasons- Players not willing to part with their jerseys or a deal couldn't been made between manager/player/company so make hard to produce game worn. Other companies have said it is too costly for them to produce ect. However there is rumours that ESP are looking at possibly releasing game worn cards in next years elite set.

3. No select, esp ect have never released cards with sticker autos, they have been all on card.

someone else might be able to further elaborate, to answer your questions

cheers Jaede

#3 Footychick2014

Footychick2014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:05 PM

Yeah ESP came out and said that a lot of players don't hand over there gear like the NBA, NFL, NHL does. I would think it would be easy for a NRL player to hand over a match wored jumper if he was getting paid to hand it over. 

We will miss out on patch cards in the NRL until some players keep thinking there stuff is worth a fortune.

#4 NewcastleCards

NewcastleCards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

2003 XL had game used jersey cards. But that is it.

• Jaede likes this

#5 smp81

smp81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

2003 XL had game used jersey cards. But that is it.

Wasnt there a Gallen and Thaiday jersey patch sig in 2012 ltd edition also?

#6 Jaede

Jaede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

I forgot about the 2003 cards, 2012 ltd ed patch cards I was told were not game worn

#7 Footychick2014

Footychick2014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:46 PM

Thanks Owen knew they did it before but just couldn't remember or they were game used. I'm still chasing the luke ricketson one.

there was three in 2003 - Lockyer, Steve Price and Luke Ricketson

#8 theanswer333

theanswer333

• Moderators
  • 337 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:07 AM

Thanks for the info guys. So the redemptions you guys get in NRL products never expire?

#9 smp81

smp81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for the info guys. So the redemptions you guys get in NRL products never expire?

I think can redeem back till 2001 on most things

#10 smp81

smp81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:09 AM

I forgot about the 2003 cards, 2012 ltd ed patch cards I was told were not game worn

Really? Seems pointless putting a patch card out when its not game worn imo

#11 theanswer333

theanswer333

• Moderators
  • 337 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:09 AM

I think can redeem back till 2001 on most things

Damn, wish NBA had that........ haven't reall busted much stuff the last coup[le years, but think you only get like a year or two before it expires? Pretty bad.

Really? Seems pointless putting a patch card out when its not game worn imo

We get stuff like that in NBA at times too - manufactured patches.

#12 Footychick2014

Footychick2014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

I had a braith Anasta 2001 future force and select still redeem it. Pretty happy that you can still do that. Also with the predictors if you can get a whole set you can still redeem.